Thursday, March 22, 2012

taking three 2 year olds for a walk without a stroller is a lot like herding earthworms

I think i got the saying wrong, but the sentiment is right on.   I took the trio for a walk on a local trail today and bravely chose to leave the strollers behind.  We went maybe 500 yards and it felt like i had run a marathon (or, having never run a marathon, i can only imagine).  Jackie decided to lie down in the middle of the path, more then once, Lily picks up every stick she can find, & Lori refuses to take more then a few steps with out demanding to be carried.  All of this would have been a lot to handle with 2 good hands, but since I'm still working with only 1, our walk in the park was anything but.
I keep waiting for the day when they have all learned to listen & follow direction.  I think i may be waiting a while, but i have time.  I remind myself all the time that if they weren't behaving this way i would worry.  They are perfectly normal toddlers.  THREE perfectly normal toddlers.
Then Lori has to take the stick that Lily found & lily cries.  Jackie spotted flowers & Jackie has to smell them (ie.  pull the flowers apart).  I try & stand in the middle & make sure that no child is to far from me.  It's a full time job.  My girls have no fear - a trait that makes me crazy, but also jealous.  It's so hard to relax through the worry, but i need to try harder, to remind myself a little more often, to let them help me see the world through their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment